Health Benefits of Cloves and Clove Oil. Medicinal Properties of Cloves and Their Uses. Nutritional Facts of Cloves.
Cloves are dried flower buds of clove tree. Clove tree belongs to Myrtaceae family of the genre Syzygium. These dried flower buds of clove tree are used as a spice in different cuisines. They have a strong and unique aroma. Cloves contain oily compounds which are important for their medicinal activities. Health benefits of cloves are well known for thousands of years. They are a part of traditional Chinese medicine and considered as aphrodisiac in Persia for a long time. They were first cultivated in Moluccas, Indonesia and later spread to China, Europe and rest of the world. Although, previously they were primarily used as a spice but later cloves become an important medicinal food as well. Today, Indonesia, Zanzibar, India, Sri Lanka, West Indies, Brazil and Madagascar are biggest commercial producers of this spice.
Cloves Nutrition Facts:
Health benefits of cloves are many because they are a great nutrient dense spice. They contain a lot of unique phytonutrients and well known or traditional nutrients as well. Cloves are exceptionally high in manganese; great source of dietary fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin C and Vitamin K. They also contain calcium, potassium, magnesium, folate, phosphorous and iron. This spice is known for their anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anti-septic properties. Cloves contain a class of chemical compounds called eugenol and a naural molecule named beta-caryophyllene. These two compounds have various medicial and health promoting properties and they are an important part of clove essential oil.
Health Benefits of Cloves:
Following are the important health benefits of cloves...
1. Cloves are very good remedy for toothache. Whole, powdered and clove oil- all are very good for relieving toothaches. They are very effective against cavities and infection. Astringent properties help to treat bleeding gums and strengthen the root of the teeth.
2. It’s a very good spice for skin as well. It’s an important part of skin care regimen. Cloves work wonder against acne. Antioxidant properties in them help to maintain healthy and youthful skin.
3. Cloves help to remove bad breath. Clove oil is an important ingredient of mouthwash and toothpastes.
4. Clove and clove essential oil are immune system boosters. They purify the blood and protect against diseases.
5. Clove essential oil gives relief from headache.
6. It’s a great healing herb for digestive system. It promotes digestion, reduces digestive disorders such as acidity and flatulence.
7. Cloves are used to treat diseases such as scabies, cholera, malaria and tuberculosis.
8. One of the important health benefits of cloves is its positive effects on respiratory system. Clove oil and clove tea are very useful in the treatment of cold, cough, tuberculosis, asthma and sinusitis. They are also good in the treatment of bronchitis.
9. Clove oil is very good for skin. The anti-septic health benefits of them help to treat wounds and bruises.
10. Because of the ant-fungal and anti-microbial health benefits, they are very good to treat fungal and other infections. Clove oil is a good home remedy for getting rid of skin infection.
11. Eugenol and antioxidant in this spice reduce the formation of blood clots and lower the inflammation.
12. Another health benefit of eugenol is that it controls the blood sugar levels. Thus, this herb is very useful for the diabetics.
13. The analgesic properties in this spice relieve pain from sore gums and throats as well. Clove oil helps to reduce rheumatic and arthritic pains. Beta-caryophyllene in cloves contains anaesthetic properties.
14. Cloves can enhance sexual activity in men. It is used as aphrodisiac for a long time.
15. Eugenol in cloves promotes the cardiovascular health.
16. The harmful environmental waste carbon tetrachloride can cause digestive tract cancers. Eugenol extracts from cloves reduce the chances of developing cancer in digestive tract.
17. Clove and clove oil are important for reducing stress. They work as a stress reliever, improve the state of depression and anxiety. They are very helpful for treating insomnia as well.
18. Cloves and clove oil can give relief from sty. Sty is an infection of the sebaceous gland of the eyelid. Clove oil is a good remedy for different eye infections.
19. Health benefits of cloves are including their ability to remove harmful toxins from your body. Thus they are good for excretory system.
20. This ancient spice can reduce the craving for the alcohol.
21. Anti-inflammatory properties of this spice can cure or reduce the intensity of rheumatism, and arthritis.
Because of their health benefits clove and clove essential oil are used in many beauty products including creams and lotions and also in many aromatherapy products. Cloves are used make mosquito repellent as well.
Clove essential oil should be used cautiously. Pregnant women should use it after consulting the doctor. This is a very strong oil and may irritate skin and mucus membranes. It can also act as a blood thinner.